La Union: Not Just For Surfing

What to do in La Union when there are no waves or you're not into surfing? I would love to share good places to chill, eat and visit w...

What to do in La Union when there are no waves or you're not into surfing? I would love to share good places to chill, eat and visit when you are in the Surfing Capital of the North.


The waves weren't that great and we were only there for a night after our Baguio Trip. So instead of staying in our hotel room and kill the time until check out, we tried some chill cafe's and restos for another gastronomic food experience.

1. El Union Coffee 

What I love about La Union's Cafe and Restos is its chill and beach-bum vibe which is very evident at this place. There would be arrays of different food stalls here and El Union Coffee is very well know for travelers and foodies alike.


I defintely love the vibes but for my personal taste, I did not enjoy the coffee I ordered and the iced tea my friend requested which I also tasted. I enjoyed the S'mores which I ordered. Again, to each his own. It may be an acquired taste for us and it should not stop you from trying it.



2. Flotsam and Jetsam

Booking a place to stay overnight at this beach hostel should be planned in advance. Fret not though as you can still enjoy this artsy social place as they have a bar and restaurant that's open to everyone.


I enjoyed the food we ordered and I also loved it that it's self-service. It feels homey and I liked it when I am not being served. I was at the counter ordering my food and was about to order a mojito. I switched it to a can of Coke instead as their mojitos and margaritas are being served in a paper cup.




3. Clean Beach

This is where I enjoyed my coffee the most. I like my coffee to be simple but strong. Yung kaya kang ipaglaban. lol...


 I super like the beach-chill vibes of the place as well as how the staff are accommodating us. I also liked it that they don't use paper cups for their beverages. I ordered iced coffee with milk and I tried the Kaya Toast that was ordered by one of my friends. I must say that both are a must try.
4. Halo halo de Iloko

We weren't done with our food-tripping and head towards the Gapuz Grapes Farm but before that, we have to try the pambansang dessert every summer,  Halo-halo. This is not just the ordinary Halo-halo as this place is frequented already by famous personalities.


 Be sure to use Waze as this place can easily camouflage itself to the houses it is next to. I thought that it will be less crowded when we arrive because it was already a little late after lunch. Again, if it's crowded and there's a queue, it means good food.


I wanted to try the Buko Halo-halo where they use the coconut shell as bowl to servve it. Unfortunately, we were too late and they ran out of coconut already. Instead, I ordered one Fiesta Halo-halo and was intrigued of what Pritong Halo-halo tastes and looks like.



5. Gapuz Grape Farm

Ending the day and this trip is a visit to a grape farm. There are a lot of grape farms that's open to public but Gapuz is the famous and has started it all. So you pay for a minimal entrance fee to get inside and you have a choice to do grape picking or just to take photos.


While we enjoy taking photos, our Zomato Master is enjoying picking grapes. The challenge though, if you are 5'10 or taller, the vines are kinda low and you really have to bend your back waling around. You can always stand in between the trellis if you need to.


We also visited the Ma-cho Temple and you can also visit it if you can squeeze it in to your itinerary. I will defnitely come back and discover some more places to visit in La Union. How about you, have you been to these places before or would you recommend that I should include in my list? Please leave your comments and suggestions below.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

V I S I T O R S

Follow Me on Instagram --> @mistershauniverse

Flickr Images